We are all aware of the daily routine of pulling stuff out of the closet and putting it back in there. It doesn’t matter how well organized you are; there always comes a day when you are buried in a big mess of clothes that you have created in your closet trying to find your favorite pair of jeans.
Maintaining a closet that you have decluttered and organized multiple times is a difficult task. It always ends up looking like all of it could collapse any minute. Now, you never have to worry about organizing a closet again. In this article, we will give you a detailed guide on how to organize your closet for good.
STEP ONE: EMPTY AND CLEAN
The first and most important step to organizing your closet is emptying your entire closet. Take everything out of the closet, including baskets, hangers, bins, and organizers. To have a clear cut idea of where you want your clothes to be and in what pattern, you must have a clean pallet.
Thus, make sure that you take the proper time to empty the entire closet. Please pay special attention to the back corners because we tend to stuff most of our clothes in a hurry.
Once you have emptied your closet, dust all the shelves and rods. Sweep and wipe the closet floor and finally all the walls, shelves, and rods with an all-purpose cleaner. Remember to clean the baskets, hangers, and organizers you may have taken out while emptying the closet.
STEP TWO: DECLUTTER
This is the part which most of us dread while cleaning our closets. Before you stuff back everything into a clean closet, you must declutter your clothes, accessories, and footwear. Please go through all the wearables that you own and segregate them into what you need and what you do not. Do not hold on to your things just for its sake because, ultimately, they will sit in your closet, idly only occupying space unnecessarily. You can find out how to get rid of clothes in five easy steps here.
If certain things are in good condition but do not fit you or do not want to keep them, consider donating them to a local charity. For clothes that have visibly been through too much wear and tear, add them to the trash pile. Try to be realistic about which damaged items you can fix. It is easy to repair small tears but not large holes.
STEP THREE: CATEGORIZE
Categorize your clothes in whatever way you prefer. The categorization of your clothes could be according to seasons, colors, styles, or occasions. It is totally up to you.
Categorizing seasonally is a great way to get a lot of free space in your closet. Organize the clothes in the closet by season by keeping the items of the current season in the front for easy access. If you like to see your closet color-coordinated, separate your clothes color-wise. This will make it super easy for you to spot your clothes, even in a hurry.
STEP FOUR: ORGANIZE
Once you have categorized everything, it is time to put everything back in the closet in a manner that efficiently utilizes all your space and looks satisfactory enough to keep you motivated to maintain your closet.
- Blouses and tops: if you do not want to go through the hassle of ironing your tops and blouses every time you take them out of the closet, do not fold them. Instead, hang your tops, blouses, and shirts on sturdy hangers. However, you may fold pajama tops or old tee shirts.
- Denims: Jeans don’t wrinkle easily, and thus you can fold them and store them on shelves or inside drawers. If you think you have sufficient space to hang more clothes, you can hang your jeans so that you can distinctly see each pair. You can either drape the jeans over the hanger or hang them by the waistband with clip hangers’ help.
- Skirts: Skirts tend to get wrinkled easily, and therefore you should hang them vertically.
- Dresses: Dresses can be hung by length or color. This will ensure that your dresses stay wrinkle-free.
- Sweaters: Always neatly fold your sweaters and store them. Never hang them as the weight of the sweaters may stretch out the shoulders and disfigure them. You can also store them in plastic see-through storage bins.
- Accessories: Many closets have a lot of empty wall space that can be efficiently utilized to store accessories like belts, purses, hats, scarves, and jewelry. Purchase small adhesive wall hooks that are readily available at the store. In case you do not have wall space, you can always use dividers inside drawers to store each accessory. You can roll up your scarves and place them in one section of the divider.
- Shoes: Store your shoes in shoe boxes or shoe racks. Do not cram all the shoes in one box as they may get scuffed.
- Other small items: Other small items of clothing such as lingerie, socks or handkerchiefs can be stored in a drawer. Just like accessories, you can separate these items using dividers.
Important Things to Remember For How to Organize Your Closet
- Use all the space optimally- Do not waste any productive space inside your closet. There is always room, even in the tiniest corner of your closet to store at least one accessory.
- Cleaning before storing- Whenever you put your clothes back in the closet, make sure that they are clean.
- Know what you need beforehand- Always have extra hooks, hangers, and dividers ready before you start organizing your closet. Rushing to purchase stuff in the middle of organizing breaks concentration and makes the process a lot more tedious.
This was all about organizing your closet in the most fun and efficient manner possible. Follow these simple steps and remember these tips whenever you want to organize your closet. You will feel amazing each time you open your closet doors and easily find whatever you want.
Leave a Comment